home
  food
  beer
  drinks
  awards
  news
  history
  location
  links
  blog
  jobs
  contact
 

The Bhurtpore Inn
Wrenbury Road
Aston
Nantwich
Cheshire
CW5 8DQ

01270 780917
 

 

In 1825, the Iron Fort of Bhurtpore, in northern India, was again becoming a serious thorn in the side of the British.

Bhurtpore was considered by the Indians to be indestructible following previous failed attempts by the otherwise all conquering British.

Lord Combermere began his five year stint as Commander-in-Chief  in India by masterminding the siege of Bhurtpore which, in January 1826, finally assured relative peace in the subcontinent for many years.

Twenty three years later, in 1849, the George family finally arrived in Aston, renting the pub, by now known as the Bhurtpore Inn, from the Combermere estate. They also had the field behind the pub and a couple more fields in the locality, and managed to make a living from a mix of agriculture, brewing and running the village pub.

In 1865 Lord Combermere (whose distinguished military career was defined by his achievement at Bhurtpore) passed away and before long, decades of financial problems lead to annual sales of estate property.

In 1895, Philip George, the third generation of landlord, bought the pub from the estate and set about a major programme of improvements, costing around £200. During this period the Bhurtpore was described in county records as the best run pub in the area.

In 1901 the business was sold to Woolf's Brewery of Crewe for around £2,000. Woolf's was taken over by Allsopp's of Burton in 1923 which became part of Ind Coope and eventually what became called Carlsberg Tetley, to whom the pub was still tied in 1991.

In that year, after several years in the trade, Simon and Nicky George were looking to buy their first pub and the boarded up, stripped out Bhurtpore ticked just about every box.

Five months of rebuilding, repairing and refitting later, the Bhurtpore reopened for business on April 9th, 1992 - the same day that John Major's Government was re-elected, much to Neil Kinnock's surprise.

More photos :

More history photographs

The Bhurtpore in 1890

 
 

A brief history of The Bhurtpore Inn

c. 1720
Oldest part of the pub was built

1778
Earliest record of pub on the site, then known as The Queen's Head

c. 1800
Pub's name changed to The Red Lion

1826
The Siege of Bhurtpore in India inspired the current name of the pub

1849
James George leased the pub from the Combermere estate

1895
Phillip George bought The Bhurtpore from the estate

1901
Pub sold to Wolff's Brewery of Crewe

1991
The Bhurtpore returns to the George family

2017
Still here!

 

The Iron Fort in Bhurtpore, India

Statue of Lord Combermere

The Bhurtpore in 1895

The Bhurtpore in 1991

The Bhurtpore in 2006

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

(c) The Bhurtpore Inn